Sunday, January 2, 2011

Soda Thoughts

I'm giving up soda for the New Year. It's sort of like New Year's and Lent rolled into one shot. I like these dorky self-improvement holidays. I like the feeling of trying to conquer my perceived weaknesses. Although, I must admit, soda is not a true love of mine...not like chocolate (which I also gave up for a year). No, this is not a love, just an occasional fling that has empty, unnecessary calories. I really do want better health and fitness this year so this is a natural resolution.

So here's the confusion... where do I stop? If I'm giving up soda because I don't want the empty beverage calories, then shouldn't I also give up all juice drinks? I won't give up 100% juice because I find it helpful to grab some in the morning when I'm on the run and can't sit and eat a meal. So it's now soda and drinks that are not 100% juice. But here's the real dilemma... what about hot drinks (i.e. hot chocolate) which are, in my opinion, a necessity in the wintertime? Do I give those up too?

I think I'll keep the hot chocolate and give that up for the real lent or something like that. Nothing that's too long term. Although I don't drink soda all the time, I don't want to lose my sanity and fail miserably...I have to keep my choco. It is, after all, my true love. =)

Here's hoping it leads to better health and fitness. Happy New Year's Everyone! Drink a soda for me!



14 comments:

NARDIVILE said...

I gave up processed sugar in general for about six months and felt amazing.I'm considering doing it again this year...
Its not til you stop yourself from drinking soda and the like til you realise just how much sugar your having.
Happy new year :)
All the best with your goals

Rx

Chunky Knubby Navel said...

What if you gave up the juices and winter drinks, but you could still drink diet soda?

Whitney

The Morgan Family said...

i decided to omit diet soda as well. it's so full of chemicals and other scary items. also, i'm not really breaking the soda/ carbonated beverage habit, just the sugar. thanks for the thoughts nard and chunky.

www.guccihandbagsoutlet.org said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

hi
nice blog :)

MLM Software said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Morgan Family said...

thank prabu! my poor blog is so neglected now.... rather sad. as a follow up, i did go a whole year without soda or sugar drinks. i felt better for it. i also started eating vegan, and feel a TON better. tried to drink a pepsi today just for the hell of it. meh, i found out i didn't really miss it.

jennifer anderson said...

where did you go?

Cocktail Lady said...

Making goals is a good thing! Congrats......a year late, haha. Cheers!

Ells said...

I totally get how difficult it would be to get rid of juice drinks. I cant start my morning without a glass of OJ. But i spoke to a dietician and she wasnt concerned about juice, since it adds to the 5 a day. But she did say to liquidate down. doing that might give you a little more le-way around the drinks calories. As for hot drinks, tea is best with no milk, and limit sugars in them. Hot Chocolate will be the killer. Maybe once a week wont hurt.

Unknown said...

Your blog is fantastic!!:))
I’m following you and I have hope you will do this same 
http://make-up-prima-sort.blogspot.com/
XoXo

Unknown said...

I love Coca Cola, but ZERO one! LOL!

Best regards from Paris, France


Wisnu
http://www.wisnusadventures.com

Nidhi Vats said...

loved ur blog.... :). i'm too a mom of 10 months girl.... i knw how tough it is to be vid peppy life all the time.

Unknown said...

Great blog! Thanks for share and very well written. Please check out my site Yahoo password help