Tuesday, December 9, 2008

I Think it's For Real This Time....

I admit it, I have no life. It's no secret. Zero. Zip. Nada. My form of entertainment is watching the snails in our tank for a few minutes every day. We have a whole new crop of them since I bought some new plants for Bob the crayfish (they were stowaways on the plants). I've learned a bit about them too. For example, I have ramhorn snails. I even have a red ramhorn snail which is considered more rare.

The excitement with the snails, however, never were amongst themselves but rather between Bob and the rest of the group. Bob can pick off the little guys quite easily, but there are now three big ones that are proving to be pesky. Today, I noticed something quite strange. Two of the big snails were all tangled up (the red one "Scarlet" and Gary). I figured they were just looking for some "afternoon delight". Here they are below...

I have to say though, it's shaping up to be a real soap opera! When I came back later Gary was all shriveled, still attached to Scarlet, at the bottom of the tank, and looked to be dead (not a great photo, but trust me... he's looks very dead)!...

Is it possible that Scarlet the temptress has only lured Gary to gain control of the tank? How can it be that Gary, who has weathered so many attacks from Bob, can succumb to the siren call of Scarlet? Is Gary just recovering from a exhausting afternoon? Considering my exciting life, I'll be sure to post an update....

ps- I just walked by the tank and Gary is still lifeless and the other big snail is latched on too. Either there is some gang mentality forming in the tank or a three-way (much better than a soap opera!)


1 comment:

cosmo said...

you are too funny! I'm on Team Gary!!!