Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Politics and Sledding

Considering my politically mixed family, I tend to shy away from making any political posts, but c'mon! Yesterday was huge. For those who don't want to read anymore gushing about the inauguration yesterday, feel free to skip to the bottom where the sledding pictures are posted.

Nothing I can write can adequately describe my feelings as I watched the inauguration. For the first time in a while, I'm really proud to be an American. I'm sure some people will interpret that statement as ungrateful for my life situation so I guess some clarification is necessary. I am always thankful for being born and living in this country and for the freedoms that it affords, but was ashamed with the decisions the past leaders have made and angry that their choices reflected so poorly on me and others as Americans.

It's nice to look at the leader of my country and feel pride at his vision and with how he carries himself. I know I won't agree with everything he says or does, but it looks promising and I'm allowing myself to feel good about it for a day or so. For the first time in who knows long I feel really patriotic. Corny, but true. I'm sure my natural, cynical self will start to seep back soon enough so I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.

Ok, I'll step off my little soapbox now and will move on to my pictures from the weekend. On our day off on Monday, we went sledding. What better way to celebrate the life of Martin Luther King Jr. than by sledding? Honestly, I feel a little guilty that we didn't do something more meaningful. I'll have to do something next year to commemorate the day more appropriately.

It was a great time and the weather was kind enough to warm up to a balmy 20 degrees. I just snapped a few pictures before they started sledding so there are no action shots, but Sam was tossed head over heels by a runaway sledder. He was OK... a little shaken up, but OK. After the dust settled he wanted to know if we had video recorded the incident for America's Funniest Home Videos. Here's Sam and Pete taking their first run....

After Allie's first run she said it was too fast and didn't want to sled anymore. This is her only picture on the sled....

After Tommy's first run he said he was too cold and didn't want to sled anymore.....

So there were really two groups; the car group and the slope group. Bob and I took turns watching the groups. Here's a final picture of Matt on his snowboard...

The three "bigs" had a lot of fun on the slope and we stayed for a couple of hours. We topped off the evening by picking up some pizza on the way home. Maybe next year we'll prepare Martin Luther King Jr.'s favorite meal after an evening of sledding.... I bet Martin would approve.



2 comments:

Stuart and Kimber said...

I thought his favorite meal was pizza.

Maybe I missed the memo...

(Looks like fun, but I'm glad you have snow and we don't!)

The Morey Family from Rochester said...

Don't worry about the political commentary. I didn't vote for him, but I still found myself smiling, excited, and a bit emotional. It was, as now former President Bush said, "a great day for our country."