Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Visitors

It is rare to receive visitors this time of year especially anyone from a warmer climate but my parents braved the cold to visit the kids. It was nice to have them around although I was a little sheepish to have them witness the craziness of the household right now. I would like them to come when my home is perfect, I am cooking gourmet meals, and am rearing my children in such a way that would make Dr. John Rosemond proud. That is not slated to happen until 2016 so I guess they decided to visit anyway. It was nice for the kids to hang out and play games with them. I think we tired them out a bit though. My dad liked to take any opportunity to doze. This was, however, consistent with my childhood memories of my dad so perhaps I tired him out when I was younger too. Now that I think about it, lots of things must tire him out. I remember as a child I asked him about his eyes being closed during church meetings. I remember my Dad said "I listen with my ears and not my eyes". This would have held up except then he would start to snore and I can't imagine he could hear what was being said over his snoring. But I digress....

The funny/ fun events noted were
that my parents were with us when we went to pick up our Christmas tree, that was fun. My dad was too cold to get out of the car though. After all those years of dragging us for what seemed like hours around the u-cut Christmas tree grounds! In his defense, it was really cold! Thankfully, we found our tree quickly and got out of there. It took us two minutes to find our tree, three to pay for it, and then five more minutes to get it up on our car. Nice and easy, that's how I like it! I think as far as the cold goes, Dad could not have left soon enough; he was always under a blanket. Another funny incident was when I ran into the local pizzeria to pick up an order. My dad told Allie I was going to be right back as she was nervous when I left the car to pick up the pizza. After waiting for a while she was upset it was taking a while for my return and Allie said to dad "HEY, she is not right back!" as if she had been tricked. My dad was trying to keep Allie happy in the car while they were waiting and when he asked what she liked on her pizza she told him "I don't want to tell you" (such sass already and not yet two!). The little kids also had a hard time reconciling the fact that they have two grandmas and two grandpas. It's not so bad for the grandmas because we call Bobby's mom "Lola" so there is less confusion but Grandpa was a tougher one to figure out. One afternoon Bobby's dad swung by to say "hi" to the kids and my parents. Tommy pointed to Bob's dad and said "Here's the real Grandpa!" Poor dad! I must admit I was slightly horrified although Tommy meant no malice. My parents were quite gracious and good sports about everything. By the end of the visit, my kids had figured out the Grandpa conundrum. As I was uploading the pictures just now for this blog, Allie walked by and said "There's Grandma and Grandpa!" so I guess it works for her.

My big omission was that I was going to take some pictures of them with the kids prior to them leaving today but scheduling got crazy near the end. I also just forgot to take pictures yesterday, or the day before, or the day before.... I'm still working on remembering to use my camera more. As a result, this is the only picture I took of them. It was cold and they were both dozing on the couch. They looked cozy and cute so I snapped the picture. Perhaps they could forward me some pictures of them with the kids and then I'll post those too. Thanks for coming by Mom and Dad, we enjoyed having you here!


2 comments:

cosmo said...

I can't remember the last time I saw your parents, but I would say it has to be at least 16 years!! They look so great! I remember your Dad liked his naps when we were kids, too...I know your parents understood about the grandparent confusion, but I if it was me, I might be a little sad I didn't get to see my grandkids more. Perhaps you could frame a 4x6 picture of them & put it in the kids' rooms so that they always have at least a little reminder of the grandparents on your side?
I now take my kids to cut our tree because I was always lucky enough to go with your family. It always had to be a douglas fir right?
Buffalo must have felt FREEZING if you are used to arizona weather!! You would have had to crank your heat up to 80 for them to be comfy! It was so nice to see that picture though, I spent sooo much time with your family when I was younger.

The Morgan Family said...

i feel bad i don't have a better picture. i snapped that one because it was funny and then forgot to follow it up with a real one. we do have special albums for each of the kids in which they are holding them, but i don't have a current picture of my parents. i need to get one and hang it on the fridge with the rest of my family's picts. as for the tree, we often got a douglas fir although there was some other type of fir tree that might have been an acceptable substitute but i can't think of the type now. as coincidence would have it the tree we got this year was a douglas fir, perhaps it was a cosmic homage to my parents visit. for me it was the nicest cheap pre -cut tree ($15!). i'll have to post our little charlie brown tree. i felt especially bad for my dad about the cold. he never liked it before, but really hates it now. i'm not sure my mom likes the cold, but she packed better with her boots, gloves, etc.