Friday, March 21, 2008

Pennies from Heaven

The Lenten season is wrapping up. Around here Good Friday is called Fish Fry Friday and all the local pizzerias will be packed with their fish orders. There are even local rankings of the best fish fry. There is so much hype about fish fry that I've considered getting a fish fry for lunch or dinner tonight, and I don't even like fish. This area is quite Catholic so it's hard not to get caught up in the excitement. I even gave up something for Lent although not required by my church. We have enough restrictions, we don't need any more imposed upon us. This year I gave up pennies. There are many reasons to give up pennies. While I can't give up money altogether, not dealing with pennies is my way of focusing less on money, along that line, I gave up my $100 dollar bills as well. Another reason is one of hygiene. Pennies are found in the scariest areas; in the gutters, on bathroom floors, in my four-year-old hands... I think I've even ingested a few pennies during a coin swallowing phase I went through when I was a child. I shudder to think if any of those coins are in circulation. At first it was hard, rounding up to the nearest nickel and then putting the pennies directly in the "take a penny, leave a penny" jar, but then I wizened up and just used my debit card. It was a sacrifice still and one I'll never forget. I feel I'm a better person for experiencing this Lenten season. I must go and eat my traditional Good Friday breakfast which consists of Cadbury Mini Eggs. Happy Easter everyone!

3 comments:

cosmo said...

let me know what you think of the fish fry if you ever try one. I had always hated fish, but quentin was able to get me to try lobster, crab legs and clams...I love all of them. But I still can't bring myself to try actual fish. Quentin says haddock tastes a lot like crab legs, but I don't know if I believe that...but I agree with you, sometimes a fish fry seems appealing since everyone seems to love them.

The Morgan Family said...

i've developed a taste for lobster, crab and shrimp too, but still have not quite caught on to the fish. i figure if it's fried long enough, anything might taste good. =)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.