Thursday, July 24, 2008

Three Flew Over the Robins Nest

While I have not ever considered myself an ornithologist of any sort, it has been fun to watch the baby robins grow. Bobby, who likes to work on his laptop on the back porch, enjoyed watching them even more than me. I was taking these photos of them yesterday...

Suddenly, the baby sitting a little higher in this photo flew out of the nest, across our yard, and into the neighbors yard! If you were wondering if I was running across the neighbors yard in order to get a shot of the baby bird in the grass, the answer would be yes. Yes, of course I was running like a loon across my neighbors yard with my camera to get this picture...

The adult robins were really mad at me for prematurely prompting this baby to fly the coop. They were making a racket. I felt bad for the baby and was a little ashamed of myself for being too exuberant with my photos, so I backed off for the day and left the nest alone. When I woke up this morning and went out to see how the other babies were doing, this is what I found.....

Then, right in front of me, the baby took to the air, hit a beam on the back porch and smacked down on the deck. Poor little guy! Here he is recovering from his not-so-successful first flight....

While I was watching the one little guy recover, I noticed I was being watched....

The other robin had already left the nest and was resting comfortably. Then, as if on cue, both babies flew away to their parents, who were waiting for them in the bushes. I now literally understand the feeling of having an empty nest! It is a little bittersweet. As I was walking back inside, I noticed a goodbye gift they left for me.....


Goodbye baby robins, we'll miss you (especially Bobby)!


2 comments:

Stuart and Kimber said...

Great pics. You have a great camera!

The Morgan Family said...

i don't think my camera is that good, i probably just got too close!