Monday, September 15, 2008

Puppies and Pokemon

This week's excitement is focused on the upcoming Pokemon tournament and the arrival of puppy "x" (we still don't have a name- I'm currently caucusing for "Fern", "Peaches", or "Buttercup"); we expect her a week from today. The day is circled on the calendar and the younger kids are making a countdown chart. We are also trying to get "Buttercup's" (maybe if I just start using a name, it will stick) space ready for her arrival. A trip to PetSmart is imminent. I'm sure there will be many more posts this week regarding "Buttercup's" arrival.

Our other source of action is Pokemon. Pete and Matt really enjoyed "Poke Dueling" over the summer and have decided to take it to a higher level. Pete found a competition about 45 minutes away. For a $5 entry fee (and $50 in gas) you get entry into a tournament, pizza, soda, and prizes for top finishers in their age category. I have never been to an organized "Poke Duel" in my life and know nothing about the format, but I guess I'm going to find out. The kids have been working like crazy earning money for entry fees, and to purchase booster packs to improve their cards. I love it when they have incentive to do their chores!

The tournament is this Saturday, and Bobby is learning how to play so he can enter and play with them (well, in a different age category. I believe it's the "You're really too old to be playing this" age category)! That's why I love Bob so much, he's willing to learn more about their interests and take a more active role in their life by going beyond most adult's comfort zones. On the other hand, I'm thinking of trying to schedule a spa day for myself, I figure there needs to be some ying for the yang.... no, just kidding (I wish I wasn't) there are no spa plans for me. I might take the little ones on a special outing or might just tag along. The boys are so excited for Bob to be playing with them. I'll be sure to take pictures (if I go) and post the results of the tournament.

4 comments:

Stuart and Kimber said...

You'll have to change your "About Me" section!!!

cosmo said...

My kids like those things a lot too. I try to annoy them by always calling them by referring to them as their "poke-e-maan" cards in my thick, annoying, rochester nasal dialect. They say, "MOOMMM!! It's Poke-mon!!" Ha...ha...i think it's funny. Can't let on to the kids how hip I am...ya know what I'm sayin'? One day they will try to sneak out and WABANNG!! Mom's there & knew what was going on the whole time. Not so clueless, now, huh? You gotta start early, steph.

The Morgan Family said...

ha ha ha... you are too funny.

Stuart and Kimber said...

So how did the tournament go????