Sunday, January 20, 2008

Paint it Black

Well drywall is finally going up and we are starting to think about paint colors. The color variety and hues are staggering and the names are ridiculous. With colors like Hopeful, High Strung, Marooned, Refuge, Frangipane, Lacewing, Impetuous, Synergy, and Indulgent, can one be sure of what the color is? I decided to start my color quest with the first page on the color choice chart.....black. To the normal untrained eye one might think this was a regular black but this happens to be Tricorn Black. If I'm not mistaken that was the style of hat worn during the Revolutionary War, correct?
I'm sure our founding fathers would settle for no other hue on their tricorn hats than the black pictured above. Now this black is Bohemian Black. I'm not quite sure what makes this black bohemian, but if someone knows, could you please tell me?



This one is called Black of Night. I have no witty remark for this. This is one of the few names that makes sense. I accidentally deleted my favorite color sample (and I'm not even going to try to reload it!) and it was called Black Magic. It had Carlos Santana's seal of approval.


Here's Caviar, the champagne of black, really.




What color collection would be complete without Domino? I had a little quip about being disappointed if Sherwin Williams did not have a Domino in their color collection, but it sounded almost racist. Should Sherwin Williams have a Domino in the color collection? It makes for interesting discussion.


Here's another color that I think I can respect. It's called Greenblack and is self-explanatory. You can kind-of, sort-of see the green hue.




This last one is called Inkwell and falls into the same-color-different-name category. What makes me shudder is that black is quite a straightforward color. Heaven help us when we start looking at beiges!

3 comments:

Stuart and Kimber said...

Hey, we used Ramey (I think that's right, it could be Ramy) in our house (SW color) as the neutral throughout our house, we've been pretty happy with it. (It's in the Khaki range of colors.)

Good luck! Paint selection is the worst!! I know you can paint over it, but you're still stuck with it for a while!

Kristina Wentzell said...

What I'm wondering is...why all the black paint chips? Should we be worried, Steph?

:)

The Morgan Family said...

i know it seems ominous to start with black but i was just starting at the beginning of the paint chart. i started with page one and have not ventured past yet. i also think the kids want a rainbow of color. the upstairs could look like a circus!!!