Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Time's Up

Every year we have a specific October time line...

#1) We will not consider costumes or decorate for Halloween until after October 1st. I think my mom used to do that too. As a child, we had some "Trick or Treat" album that, on one side, had Donald Duck, his nephews, and Witch Hazel involved in some silly Halloween antics and on the other side had Ron Howard starring in a more scary haunted house tale. The haunted house album side always scared me. I remember that we would listen to that album starting October 1st and keep going strong right up through Halloween. After the 31st, it was shelved again. I think if my mother had to listen to that album all year long, she would have gone insane. It's her wisdom I try to emulate for my self-preservation.

and

#2 Final costume decisions must be submitted by the evening of October 15th. At that time they are written down and are set. If any child changes his or her mind, the new costume can be considered for next year. This is just experience. Many a year I have started working on a costume only to have a child vehemently change their mind and I'm stuck.

So, tonight all the costumes were dragged out and the decisions have been made. There were some 11th hour decision changes, but we are done (phew!). I'll make sure to post the final pictures on the "big day".


ps- I now have the Donald Duck Halloween song running through my head.... "Trick or treat, Trick or treat. Trick or treat for Halloween. So give a treat that you'd like to eat if you want to keep life serene!". Did anyone else besides my family own that album?

1 comment:

chammy said...

..."so when ghosts and goblins by the score.
ring the bell on your front door.
better not be stingy or your nightmares will come true..."