Sunday, November 9, 2008

Puppy Pros and Cons

It's been over three weeks since Kiko arrived on the scene, and I've been compiling my little pro and con list the whole time. I even had a blog draft floating around for a week or so stating how much I hated fleas, tapeworms, and dog poop (who doesn't?). It's hard for me to accurately describe this experience without sounding like a mean animal owner who is not fit to care for a sea monkey. So after more contemplation, and a blog rewrite, I hope I can convey my thoughts correctly...

#1- I have recently realized I will never be a dog owner
that puts my dog on the same level as humans. She is a second class citizen (or perhaps more like a red-headed stepchild). I need to not feel so guilty about that. I actually think it's better for the dog that it's more of an employer/ employee relationship. The only problem is that as an employee, she is still a bit insubordinate.

#2- I am annoyed when she destroys my home. When she chews on
my baseboards, when she pees or poops on the floor (especially after I had just taken her out and she refused to go) it bothers me.

#3- I like her better at night than in the morning. When we let her out of her crate in the morning she
is crazy with excitement and that is when her house training accidents seem to happen most. I'm not blaming her but it can make for a hectic morning. She also likes to chew on anything she can get at during that crazy time. I know I'm going to be barraged with training tips so save your keystrokes. We follow all the recommendations of our vet, books, and dog savvy friends, but she still has issues sometimes. She also gets ample attention all day, every day. Bobby contends I give the dog more attention than some of my kids. That might be true because my kids are not about to poop on my floor at any given moment.

In the evening though, after the kids are in bed, we are able to snuggle with her every night. She is really a sweet lap dog in that respect.

#4- She has a "chug" face you cannot stay mad at. No matter what she has done, you can't stay mad at her for long. It is quite cute...

#5- The kids love her. Pete and Matt also share some responsibility
in taking her out in the morning as well. They are developing empathy and learning to care for a creature that is dependent on them. I love that, and it is wonderful to see.

#6- She's a great animal bargaining chip. If my kids ask for any animals, I just have to point at Kiko and state "We got you a dog... we're done.".


So after some analysis, I think we'll be fine. We do love her, but she's a lot of work. It's getting
better though and hopefully, one day, she'll be housebroken and not so "chewy".



ps- I know I'm still playing catch up with the NaBloPoMo, but I'll get there!!!

2 comments:

jenniferi716 said...

I definitely agree with #1. I always feel like people think I am anti-dog, but they just aren't people! It kills me too that there are starving people in the world and there are people that will spend thousands on medical treatments for a dog. And doggie daycare. That kills me too! I do like dogs and cats...they are nice to cuddle and they are good companions...but they are a lot of work. More time than I can give up personally right now :-) Good luck to you !

cosmo said...

I love my dog very much, but he is still way behind everyone else and just a nice addition to the house. I am not one of those dog people either.
I think that is why puppies are so cute. They are SOOO much work and so easy to get really mad at. But they are cute and you know they don't mean it. Then when they are older, they are not as cute, but by then they generally have their act together and they are easier.